Meet Jordy, a 23 year old soccer player and student, who’s trying to find his way and figure out what to shoot for after college and how to get there. He’s optimistic, excited, and at a crossroads in his life. He’s just like I was at his age, and is probably just like you are now or have been in the past.
In this raw, gritty, intimate, and windy 28 minute conversation we talk about what it takes to create success through chasing your dreams. We talk about the importance of checking in with yourself to make sure you’re still chasing what’s important to you. And we talk about the importance of taking action.
Audio Purists Beware: This is recorded outside on Jordy’s iPhone. There’s wind noise and it takes over at times, but ultimately we decided to release this because I’m interested in providing access to more personal, raw, deep authentic conversations like this.
In this episode:
- Having a variety of interests is great, but if you’re trying to build an audience, you need to narrow your focus of what you’re sharing.
- Your goal should not be to become an influencer. Becoming an influencer happens organically from building cool stuff and sharing your story and process. The formula for becoming an influencer is to make cool stuff and then share it with a community.
- You cannot find your thing from thinking. You cannot find the best process from thinking. You must do.
Focusing on one thing is where you develop mastery and it’s in developing that mastery that you can leverage it to other things.
Listen to the Podcast
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How skate culture helped me understand the fusion between creativity and art. [5:00]
- You can only find out your niche and build your strategy by trying things out. Don’t pontificate. Just do. [8:30]
- 90% doing, 10% planning. [9:00]
- Check out Jack Morris, of Do You Travel? [11:55]
- The goal should not be to become “an influencer”. The goal should be to build something unique and share your story, and influence will happen as a natural byproduct of that. [13:00]
- You cannot find your thing from thinking. You cannot find the best process from thinking. You must do. [16:40]
- Being a professional photographer looks glamorous from the outside, but you’ve got to love doing it to get through the many days that wear no glamor. [18:51]
- Chris Guillebeau’s two questions for whether or not you should quit something and move on: Is this working? Do I still love it? [19:26]
- The answer to many questions is this: “it doesn’t fucking matter.” What camera should you get as a starter? Doesn’t matter. What blogging platform should you use? Does not matter. [23:00]
- How to decide which distribution channels to share your art on. [25:00]
- How to become a master. [27:45]
This podcast is brought to you by CreativeLive. CreativeLive is the world’s largest hub for online creative education in photo/video, art/design, music/audio, craft/maker, money/life and the ability to make a living in any of those disciplines. They are high quality, highly curated classes taught by the world’s top experts — Pulitzer, Oscar, Grammy Award winners, New York Times best selling authors and the best entrepreneurs of our times.