We’re now heading into almost 100 episodes of the podcast, that’s a crazy amount to learn from. So I figured there wasn’t a better time to share a short convo I had with my good bud Tim Ferriss on his method for rapidly learning any skill.
Tim’s got mad skills in breaking down big subjects and making them digestible which he does for us here, in all of his best selling books- 4 Hour Workweek, 4 Hour Body, 4 Hour Chef, Tools of Titans, and Tribe of Mentors- as well as on his podcast The Tim Ferriss Show.
In today’s episode,
- Tim has mastered the art of learning with four steps, acronymized as DSSS. Deconstructing the goal, Selecting where to focus your efforts to get the best results, Sequencing what order to approach tasks, and setting Stakes.
- When choosing people to learn from, choose those who have natural attributes working against them but still succeed. This indicates their training methods are good enough to make up for their natural shortcomings.
- Even the most trivial amounts of money are often times enough to keep you accountable to your goal. Want to get in shape? Put $1 on the line.
You will work infinitely harder to not lose $100 than you will to make $100
instagram | twitter | website
Listen to the Podcast
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Check out Tim’s book, The 4 Hour Chef, which he calls “a book on accelerated learning disguised as a cookbook.” [4:15]
- The first part of learning is deconstruction- breaking down your goal into component parts and making it measurable. [4:40]
- When choosing someone to learn from, pick people who are good at the given skill but shouldn’t be. [5:10]
- When choosing coaches, pick ones who can replicate their results, regardless of if they were successful in their field. [5:51]
- The second step is selection- doing an 80/20 analysis to see where you’ll get the most value from your efforts. [6:12]
- The third step is sequencing- putting things in the right order. [6:53]
- The final step is stakes- you need to build in incentives or consequences. [7:50]
- Struggle with accountability? Make a bet! Check out stickk.com and coach.me for incentives. [8:45]
This podcast is brought to you by CreativeLive. CreativeLive is the world’s largest hub for online creative education in photo/video, art/design, music/audio, craft/maker, money/life and the ability to make a living in any of those disciplines. They are high quality, highly curated classes taught by the world’s top experts — Pulitzer, Oscar, Grammy Award winners, New York Times best selling authors and the best entrepreneurs of our times.