Gary Vaynerchuk builds businesses. Fresh out of college he took his family wine business and grew it from a $3M to a $60M business in five years. Now he runs VaynerMedia, one of the world’s hottest digital agencies. He’s a best selling author, a renowned keynote speaker and releases tons of free content such as the The #AskGaryVee Show all surrounding valuable insights on social media, entrepreneurship, startups, and family businesses.
Great to have Gary back on the #cjLIVE couch again. In true GaryVee style, this episode is rapid fire of actionable advice for creatives and entrepreneurs. We cover a lot of ground, including:
- negotiating and how to double your asking price in a single conversation.
- why Snapchat almost guarantees consumption of your content by your audience
- the new rule to complaining
- why you should always ask for more than your client has budgeted for.
And so much more.
Never do the next job for what you did the last one for.
Watch the Episode
Listen to the Podcast
Some Questions I Ask:
- How do you apply hustle to any discipline? [7:42]
- Did you teach yourself your work ethic or were you born with it? [9:10]
- What are some things creators have a disproportionate opportunity over most? [17:25]
- What wins in social media? [21:21]
- What do I tell my wife if I want to do more non paid work to increase my paid work? [31:52] (Audience question)
- What are you working on after #AskGaryVee book? [38:33]
- How do you get around endlessly marketing your products instead of making new ones? [39:35]
- What apps are around the corner? [40:27]
- What’s your morning routine? [41:34]
- How important is taking care of yourself? [41:50]
- What’s something that people would be surprised by if they heard? [42:44]
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Why Snapchat almost guarantees consumption of your content by your audience. [6:11]
- The one thing you can control: time. [9:56]
- The power of self awareness. [12:49]
- The importance of applying age old wisdom to today’s mobile, first world context. [13:29]
- Why your great grandparents would come out of their graves and punch you in the mouth if they heard you complaining. [13:52]
- You could have been an ant. [15:19]
- The new rule to complaining. [15:52]
- How to approach upcoming and yet to come social media outlets to be the best. [18:40]
- How to reach, respond to, and connect with your audience on Snapchat. [25:39]
- Scaling the unscalable is where the action is. [26:17]
- How Gary uses the “Ricky Henderson effect” to connect with his audience. [26:50]
- How to build a business where you don’t have to do all of the work. [28:42]
- Why you’ve got to play the small clubs for free if you want to get paid to play the stadiums. [32:44]
- Either work for free or get paid your full rate. How and why you need to stay out of the middle. [33:49]
- Never do your next job for the same price you did your last job for until the market says so. [35:40]
- Why you should always ask for more than your client has budgeted for. [37:17]
- Why it’s dangerous not to play get your hands dirty playing in the dirt. [39:00]
This podcast is brought to you by CreativeLive. CreativeLive is the world’s largest hub for online creative education in photo/video, art/design, music/audio, craft/maker, money/life and the ability to make a living in any of those disciplines. They are high quality, highly curated classes taught by the world’s top experts — Pulitzer, Oscar, Grammy Award winners, New York Times best selling authors and the best entrepreneurs of our times.