Arianna Huffington is one of the most influential women in the world. In May 2005, she launched the Huffington Post, a Pulitzer Prize-winning news and blog site that has become one of the strongest media brands on the Internet. She is a prolific media commentator, a confident political activist, and the author of more than 15 books.
In this episode, we take a deep dive into a topic that has become near and dear to my heart: sleep. No matter how strong our hustle is, the truth is that it’s effectively diminished when there’s lack of sleep. We did into how a lack of sleep negatively affects creativity, the relationship between sleep and technology, some practical night rituals, and much much more. It’s powerful medicine.
We take better care of our smartphones than we take care of ourselves.
website | twitter | facebook
Watch the Episode
Arianna’s episode was featured in the 30 Days of Genius series of Chase Jarvis Live on CreativeLive. If you like this, join 50,000+ people who are receiving one of these videos everyday.
Listen to the Podcast
Some Questions I Ask:
- What’s the backstory of Huffington Post? [02:15]
- Are there a set of habits that have helped contribute to you building the Huffington Post and writing your 15 books? [03:57]
- Do you feel like you were part of the delusion that you had to overwork yourself to be productive? [07:50]
- Why write about sleep and why write about it now? [10:20]
- What’s the relationship between sleep and creativity? [14:45]
- What is the relationship between sleep and dreams? [19:32]
- How militant should we be about sleep? [20:30]
- The industrial revolution was terrible for the education system and creativity. Are you saying that it was also bad for our approach to sleep? [22:40]
- What is going to get us to listen and change our sleep habits? [25:30]
- How important is the length and content of the ritual before going to sleep? [30:55]
- How should we be thinking about sleep? [34:10]
- Is there some connection between sleep and joy? [35:45]
- What am I not asking you about sleep that I should be? [39:05]
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The moment that changed Arianna’s approach towards the relationship between burning yourself out and reaching success. [06:19]
- How prioritizing sleep improved Arianna’s approach towards productivity, effectiveness, and fun. [08:16]
- What Arianna has named the voice inside her head. [10:00]
- What science says about skipping sleep to work out. [12:17]
- What’s happening in your brain while you sleep. [16:48]
- How past cultural icons shaped the way we think about the devaluation of sleep. [24:00]
- How our relationship with technology is affecting our sleep. [26:12]
- The importance of transitioning to sleep and finding your own ritual. [29:18]
- The most important habit of getting to sleep. [32:11]
- How Kobe Bryant and Andre Iguadala use sleep as a performance enhancer. [34:51]
- The obvious effects improving sleep habits have had on Arianna. [36:38]
Links From the Episode:
The Sleep Revolution
The Huffington Post
This podcast is brought to you by CreativeLive. CreativeLive is the world’s largest hub for online creative education in photo/video, art/design, music/audio, craft/maker, money/life and the ability to make a living in any of those disciplines. They are high quality, highly curated classes taught by the world’s top experts — Pulitzer, Oscar, Grammy Award winners, New York Times best selling authors and the best entrepreneurs of our times.