Some of us have always known our dreams, while others discover them through life’s twists and turns. But regardless of their origin, these dreams ignite a passion within us.
1. Dreams are not just fleeting thoughts; they’re a compass guiding us towards our true purpose.
Following your dreams might sound idealistic, but it’s about taking tangible steps towards them. As Steven Pressfield’s book title suggests, “Put Your Ass Where Your Heart Wants to Be.” If you dream of being a writer, start writing. Dream of photography? Learn from a mentor. It’s about action over mere contemplation.
2. Action is the bridge between dreams and reality. Start small, but start somewhere.
However, pursuing dreams isn’t without its challenges. Pressfield discusses the “big ‘R’ Resistance” – the internal voice of doubt and criticism that often holds us back. Many succumb to this resistance, leading to unfulfilled dreams and potential negative consequences. The key to overcoming this is commitment. While amateurs might give up at the first sign of resistance, professionals push through.
3. Resistance is a sign you’re on the right path. Embrace it, and let it fuel your determination.
While some are naturally talented, true mastery comes from hard work and perseverance. It’s often when we face our fears and take risks that our true potential shines through.
4. Talent is a starting point; dedication and hard work are what refine and elevate it.
Steven also speaks of the “hero’s journey” – the path leading to our true calling. He shares his own journey, from almost completing a book in his 20s to working in oil fields, only to realize writing was his true passion. Everyone has their own hero’s journey, and while it’s tempting to choose a safer path, it’s the pursuit of our true calling that brings fulfillment.
5. Every detour, setback, or challenge is a part of your unique story. Embrace the journey, not just the destination.
So, what does your hero’s journey look like? Whether you’re on track or have strayed, it’s never too late to pursue your passion. When faced with resistance, push harder. And remember, as Steven Pressfield advises, to put yourself where your heart truly desires.
6. It’s never too late to realign with your dreams. Every day offers a new beginning.