Alright you camera freaks. The long-awaited Nikon D5 + Nikon D500 have finally been announced. Live from the CES show in Las Vegas yesterday Nikon paraded out their new babies for all the geeks and journalists. As a face for Nikon long before there was such a thing (I know – hard to remember that far back) and core to launching new cameras for them (like this and this, I long lived at the heart of all these announcements there on the floor of the show talking to journalists…but that’s not my jam anymore. I don’t miss the pixel-peeping and the gear chatter one bit, but I DO really LOVE a good camera…which is why I posting this today. When the camera was announced – my feeds popped with your questions about my opinions on these beasts, so I thought I’d respond to your asks in the most simple way imaginable, by just recording my first impressions.
So that’s what this is. It is NOT a “camera review” in the classic super nerd techy sense. It’s my OPINION on the specs based and what I know about these things given a lifetime of unfair access to the inner workings of these cameras and their launches….more experience than 99% of the planet – for better or worse. (Trust me – I’ve seen the sausage being made and it’s not pretty. haha 😉
So anyway – here’s my take in the video above and here’s the specs for both the Nikon D5 and the Nikon D500 below. I’ll follow up when I get my hands on one or both of these in person. Hit me up with questions or comments if you have em.
The new Nikon flagship camera – their top of the line.
$6495 – body only. March 2016 predicted ship date.
Buy from Adorama
Topline Specs of the Nikon D5
- 20.8MP FX-format CMOS sensor + EXPEED 5 image processing
- Widest native ISO ever in a Nikon full-frame DSLR: ISO 100 to 102,400 (expandable to Hi-5, ISO 3,280,00)
- Redesigned AF system with 153 focus points (55 selectable), 99 cross-type sensors + dedicated processor.
- 4K UHD video at 30/25/24p + pro grade features (simultaneous external + internal recording, Flat Picture Control, Zebra Stripes, built-in stereo microphone with 20-step increment adjustments)
- 12 fps continuous shooting with full AF and AE performance (14 fps without), and up to 200 RAW shots in a single burst
Pretty sexy. Now on to its baby brother…..
The Nikon D500 gives pro-level features in a compact and lightweight body.
$1995 – body only. March 2016 predicted ship date.
Buy from Adorama
Topline Specs of the Nikon D500
- 20.8 MP DX-format image sensor with EXPEED 5 image-processing engine
- 153-point AF system (55 selectable)
- 10 fps for up to 200 shots (14-bit lossless compressed RAW)
- 4K UHD video
- ISO sensitivity up to ISO 51200, expandable to ISO 1640000 via Hi
- Touch-screen, tilting 8-cm/3.2in high-resolution monitor
- Connect to smart devices using proprietary “Nikon Snap Bridge” system via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
Again – so there you have it. I’ll get back out in front of you again soon when I get one of these suckers in my hand. Until then, subscribe to my Youtube channel for god’s sake. And hop on my VIP email list while you’re at it for exclusive content. I post fresh videos + send one bad-ass email every week. Nothing ever sucks – only awesome. And here’s where you can learn how to use your camera better, right here.