Seth Godin is an incredible human. He’s an author of 18, yes that’s right, 18 best selling books. He is an entrepreneur, a guru in marketing, and writes a post every day on his blog which has been noted as one of the top marketing blogs on the internet. Seth’s most current focus is his course called the altMBA focused on developing high-powered thinkers and leaders.
One of the things I like best about Seth is when he says something, it’s like lasers – it’s so clear and just makes sense. In this episode, you’ll hear why Seth refuses to give tips and tactics and instead would rather teach us how to see. We dig into failure and rejection, and understanding our impact by viewing it through the lens of “would they miss you if you’re gone”.
Anything worth doing, is worth doing because you changed someone else.
website | twitter | facebook
Watch the Episode
Seth’s episode was featured in the 30 Days of Genius series of Chase Jarvis Live on CreativeLive. If you like this, join 50,000+ people who are receiving one of these videos everyday.
Listen to the Podcast
Some Questions I Ask
- What’s your secret? [6:30]
- Is every time now, or is now special? [7:15]
- What’s the advice on playing through fear and going to the next step? [9:09]
- What are the specific actions one can take to unlock their genius? [12:56]
- Do you decide what matters or do you let others decide what matters for them? [25:59]
- What do you hear from others that people say that matters? [26:12]
- Is being different enough? [28:12]
- Is it wrong to architect something that doesn’t involve sharing? [32:29]
- Is work that does not change people failed work? [34:49]
- What role does intention take in your work? [36:14]
- What’s inspiring you right now? [36:34]
- What about the educational system pisses you off and what are you doing at AltMBA about it? [41:26]
- What advice can you give to an individual about continuing their education? [48:30]
- How do you face the day and what are your daily practices? [51:41]
- What was the motivation to build AltMBA? [54:42]
- What do you see as the future of continuing education? [58:55]
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How to set your future self up for success [8:00]
- What to do with your fear [9:30]
- Why Seth refuses to give tips and tactics and instead teaches how to see [14:50]
- Why no-one takes notes while on a date [16:50]
- The better alternative question to “what will happen?” [20:30]
- The hard truth about your talent and what you’re entitled to [24:20]
- A simple test to find out if your work matters [27:25]
- What it means to be remarkable [29:09]
- How Harley Davidson and Apple change people. [33:29]
- The definition of art and being an artist [35:28]
- How our public education system was born and why it’s now broken [41:54]
- The right questions parents should be asking their kids [47:00]
- A beautiful analogy between skate skiing and how to approach your work [50:25]
- Plus much more…
This podcast is brought to you by CreativeLive. CreativeLive is the world’s largest hub for online creative education in photo/video, art/design, music/audio, craft/maker, money/life and the ability to make a living in any of those disciplines. They are high quality, highly curated classes taught by the world’s top experts — Pulitzer, Oscar, Grammy Award winners, New York Times best selling authors and the best entrepreneurs of our times.